Halesowen Cycling Club History
The foundations of the club were laid in 1937 when four young Halesowen athletes joined Birchfield Harriers Athletic Club. The cost of travelling in those days was a problem and the four looked for more local facilities for training and moved into the local Baptist church using the cellar for changing rooms. In 1940 a number of cyclists joined the athletes and on 26th September 1940 they began training at Halesowen Technical College where they were able to use the gymnasium and take part in keep fit classes.
On 3rd October 1942 Eighteen members of Birchfield Harriers resigned and so Halesowen A&CC was born. The cycling section came into existence on 27th September 1943.
1943 the decision was taken to look for land where a club facility could
be developed. After much searching 11 acres of very wet marshland was
purchased from Lord Cobham in Manor Lane Halesowen, with interest free
loans from four members of the club.
problems always existed due to the nature of the original ground. The
decision was taken in 1964 to raise the level of the whole track by 1
Many famous athletes and cyclists have taken part in competition at Manor Abbey Stadium including National Champions, Commonwealth and Olympic riders.
Abbey Stadium is the only sports ground known to be owned wholly by the
A & CC have a long association with Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council
who have been, and remain very supportive of the clubs aims and activities.
The commitment to cycling has led the club into organising local, regional
National and International events.
The club has provided the community with vital links to many types of cycling disciplines including taster sessions for those new to cycling, but also to those who already own cycles who wish to participate and eventually compete in a structured format.
The club obtained Awards for All funding in 2000 and 2002 which enabled track cycles to be purchased, as well as enabling coaches to attend Level 2 coaching courses, Running Sport Courses, first aid training and training aids for the club in community use
activities, partners and users of the club and facilities
Halesowen A & CC is a multi sport club encompassing not only cycling but also athletics, weights and tennis. The club also has an active social section.
grounds are wholly owned by the club and are assigned in a board of trustees
who are all life members of the club.
cycling facilities consist of
The tarmaced car park is cordoned off and used for some go-ride activities, and the external perimeter of the grounds is also suitable for cyclo-cross training and minor events.
For major events the whole of the grounds are handed over to the sporting section involved, to enable all facilities to be available solely for use by the event concerned.
|Dunlop International Cycle Races - Manor Abbey Stadium - Halesowen - 12 May 1951|
|Fourth Annual Sports 1952|