The foundations of the club were laid in 1937 when four young Halesowen athletes joined Birchfield Harriers Athletic Club.
The cost of travelling in those days was a problem and the four looked for more local facilities for training and moved into the local Baptist church using the cellar for changing rooms. In 1940 a number of cyclists joined the athletes and on 26th September 1940 they began training at Halesowen Technical College where they were able to use the gymnasium and take part in keep fit classes.
On 3rd October 1942 Eighteen members of Birchfield Harriers resigned and so Halesowen A&CC was born. The cycling section came into existence on 27th September 1943.
During 1943 the decision was taken to look for land where a club facility could be developed. After much searching 11 acres of very wet marshland was purchased from Lord Cobham in Manor Lane Halesowen, with interest free loans from four members of the club. Work began in 1946 to form an athletic and cycle track using 100,000 tons of clinker from Birmingham Corporation. Local contractor A & J Mucklow & Co. Ltd carried out the works, which were opened on the 6th August 1949.
Drainage problems always existed due to the nature of the original ground. The decision was taken in 1964 to raise the level of the whole track by 1 metre. A 400m cycling track was build by RM Douglas which is the foundation of the track in use today. A refurbishment was undertaken in 1994 and a complete resurfacing contract undertaken in 2004. The weights room was rebuilt in 1990 and a tartan 4-lane athletic track replaced the original grass track in 1996.
Many famous athletes and cyclists have taken part in competition at Manor Abbey Stadium including National Champions, Commonwealth and Olympic riders.
Manor Abbey Stadium is the only sports ground known to be owned wholly by the club.It is situated in close proximity to Halesowen with motorway links less that one mile away. There are several primary, secondary and further education establishments close by.
Halesowen A & CC have a long association with Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council who have been, and remain very supportive of the clubs aims and activities. The commitment to cycling has led the club into organising local, regional National and International events. The club has also provided National and International officials to major events who then through their experiences gained have volunteered their services to educate other club members. On the multi use site is the clubhouse. This is used not only as a social venue for members, but also by outside agencies who use the venue for formal meetings, as well as courses related to the sports disciplines such as “Running Sport” and coaching courses. Membership of the cycling section has been growing over the last few years from around 100 in 1999 to a little over 180 in 2004. One of the main growth areas has been achieved by the work undertaken in attracting youth members, particularly under the age of 12 with school links. A good percentage of those attracted are girls although both genders are being retained along with the willingness of their parents to become involved in club activities.
The club has provided the community with vital links to many types of cycling disciplines including taster sessions for those new to cycling, but also to those who already own cycles who wish to participate and eventually compete in a structured format.
The club obtained Awards for All funding in 2000 and 2002 which enabled track cycles to be purchased, as well as enabling coaches to attend Level 2 coaching courses, Running Sport courses, first aid training and training aids for the club in community use.